Pages

Sunday 24 August 2014

Birthday Book Haul



Today was my birthday and with it came six new books to add to my collection.  They were The Night is for Hunting and The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden.  These two books are the last ones in the 'Tomorrow When the War Began' series and I am really excited to see what happens in the end.  It is a really interesting series about a group of teenagers who accidentally miss being captured by a military invasion and must learn to survive.  The books bring up a lot of difficult questions as to what is right and wrong and I do not want to even imagine what I would do if I were in their situation.

The next book is Across the Universe by Beth Revis and I honestly do not know much about the book or author.  I heard about it from Sasha from Abookutopia and as I had enjoyed other recommendations by her I decided to go for it.  It is science fiction and the slogan on the back reading "What does it take to SURVIVE aboard a spaceship fueled by LIES?" grabbed my attention straight away.

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett was next in my little present haul.  I have never read any of Pratchett's books but I did watch the movies "The Colour of Magic" and "Hogfather", which were both based on his books, and loved the ideas behind them.  The Colour of Magic is a book that is from the 'Discworld' series, a series of stories all based in Discworld which is located on the back of giant turtle somewhere in space.  If you love fantasy then this is for you.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth is the second book in the 'Divergent' series which has just become a movie (which sadly I haven't seen yet).  I read the first book a while ago and enjoyed the dystopian theme that revolved around it.  I wasn't such a fan of Tris the bold main character but I liked reading about the other characters involved.  I am scared about this book because I do not know how much it will be about the events happening and how much it will be about Tris.  I will just have to wait to find out.

Lastly I was given An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.  I had read The Fault in Our Stars like pretty much every teenage girl in the world but after reading it and discovering the author I decided most of his other books sounded more interesting to me.  This one is about a boy who takes a fancy in girls named Katherine and, as he is a child prodigy, he comes up with a plan which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship.  I little bit different to what I normally read but also a little bit interesting.

So there are the books I got for my birthday in a bit of detail.  Hopefully I can read them all in good time and review and recommend to my hearts content.

No comments:

Post a Comment